Paige will be having her tonsils and adenoids removed as well as getting more tubes in her ears this Thursday, July 23. We have to be at the hospital (Herman Memorial in The Woodlands) at 7:00 a.m. so I imagine that her surgery will be over early in the morning. There is a good chance we will have to stay the night because they are really concerned about dehydration at this age and will want to keep her IV in. I'm not going to pretend that I don't have any anxiety but I am feeling better about getting it over with.
She had her pre-op appt with the ENT on Friday. This went really well and Paige was so good. She even opened her mouth really wide so the doctor could look at her throat. The doctor even listened to piggy with her stethoscope and let Paige listen to piggy's heart too. At the end of the appt, they told us we would have to set up an appt to do lab work. I was wondering when they were going to draw her blood because I remember getting my tonsils out when I was 4. They sent us to Quest Labs which is what our insurance accepts and that room was very full of people waiting. I was slightly annoyed because I was working that Friday and this was an unexpected detour. I ended up taking the rest of the day off and working on Saturday instead. We waited for 45 minutes and it was our turn. I explained to Paige what they were going to do and she was just excited about getting a bandaid.
She sat on my lap and "D" our nurse got another woman to hold Paige's arm. In anticipation of Paige's reaction, I was afraid I would start crying. Having my own blood drawn doesn't bother me at all but watching my baby get it done - different story. Paige was such a BIG GIRL! She didn't cry or even try to jerk her arm away while they were getting the samples. She got a purple bandaid. As soon as the procedure was over, her little lip started to quiver. I think emotionally it was just too much to handle. As soon as we got to the car she was very upset. This was very short-lived. I told her for being such a big girl she could get a new movie. We went to Target and she looked at all of the movies for a very long time. To my dismay, she picked a Barney movie. She has recently become a huge Barney fan because my Mom (thanks Yaya) bought her a Barney movie. Oh well, it makes her happy. Needless to say, we have watched this new movie at least 6 times since Friday!
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I will be thinking of y'all on Thursday. Surgury won't take to long even though to you, it will seem like forever. I'm sure Paige will do fine. Make sure to get her lots of good cold snacks!
Thanks Luanne!
Been thinking about you guys. How did everything go with the surgery?
Love, Amy
Post a Comment